Yokohama, Japan: Giant Gundam Robot

 

One of the things that I was excited about my trip to Japan was seeing in person the Gundam Robot in Yokohama. Yes, I grew up watching the anime so it was like fulfilling a childhood dream! 😁

Gundam Robot

Tickets are available at the entrance, but I booked my ticket in advance to ensure I can get one, I was worried it will be sold out. There are 2 tickets available; the admission ticket (somewhat like a general admission ticket) and the viewing ticket. The latter allows you to go up the Gundam-Dock Tower, which is a special viewing deck where visitors can get up close and see the head and body of the Gundam from a height of 15 to 18 metres. I only purchased the admission ticket since I didn't want to go up, it was already enough for me. 😀

Gundam Factory

The robot show is twice an hour, alternating between a 9-min startup test scene and a 6-min storage scene. During this show, the Gundam will show minimal movements with sound effects and voice overs (characters), which for me, allows us to immerse in an actual scene from the anime. Watch the full video on YouTube.

There's also a shop within the vicinity where fans can purchase Gundam toys and other souvenirs. Oh my, I almost got one but I remembered I can't fit it in my luggage. When I arrived, the shorter version of the show was on-going, so I had to wait for the next show and wander inside the souvenir shop. 

Gundam shop

Different forms, styles, and sizes of Gundam toys are available. I think most of the visitors who purchase these souvenirs are for collection. 😆

And oh, I love the toilet! It has some Gundam drawings in chibi! 😁

Was it worth it? Oh definitely! Even if you are not a Gundam fan, it is simply mesmerising to see such 18-metre tall robot (a whopping 59ft tall) exists.😆


Opening Hours:

Monday - Friday: 11am to 8pm (last admission 7pm)

Saturday - Sunday (including Holidays): 10am to 8pm (last admission 7pm)


Admission Ticket:

Adult (13 years old - up) - 1,650 yen 

Child (7 - 12 years old) - 1,100 yen

Note: Viewing deck ticket is sold separately. An admission ticket is required for viewing deck ticket as well.


Book your ticket online: https://gundam-factory.net/en/

Location: Gundam Factory Yokohama

Address: Japan, 〒231-0023 Kanagawa, Yokohama, Naka Ward, Yamashitacho, 12−279-25 鈴江コーポレーション


Sadly, the giant Gundam robot exhibition event will only be until 31 March 2024. So, be sure to check it out when you visit Japan!


Dōmo arigatōgozaimasu Gundam!



1-8 April '23