Japan: Spring Time, Sakura Time!

 

Have you seen a cherry blossom tree?

Many countries attract visitors in springtime due to the cherry blossom trees, such as Japan and South Korea. Yes, I am one of those individuals who dreamt of seeing these sakura trees that bring billowy pink and white blooms. Seeing the blooms in person has always been in my bucket list for several years. 

A few years back, South Korea was my target destination for spring experience, however, I decided to go to Japan instead due to a lot of reasons.

The pandemic affected the original plan; my flight was cancelled and had to wait until everything goes back to the "new normal" before I could tick it off my list. In spring of 2023, my dream finally came true! I flew to Tokyo, travelled to Kyoto and Osaka to enjoy the beauty of the sakura trees.

Planning for spring holiday was quite a challenge. Since it is a peak season, tourists will surely flock to Japan. As such, flights and accommodations are expected to soar high. And you need to make sure to book the flight at the "right" time, else you might end up arriving before the bloom or after the bloom. 

My visit was a few days after the full bloom, which worried me. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to see the flowers anymore, but luckily I still did. Although it wasn't as beautiful as the full bloom, but still pretty. The flowers were in pale pink shade; I believe the flowers are vivid pink during the full bloom.

There are different spots in Tokyo where you can see rows of sakura trees, such as:

- Shinjuku Gyoen

- Chidorigafuchi Moat

- Rikugien Garden

- Ueno Park

- Inokashira Park

- Sumida Park

- Yoyogi Park

- Meguro River 

- Asukayama Park

There are actually sakura trees in many places, but not as much as in the parks. In fact, you can find a couple of trees in the yard of some houses or along the street. The Meguro River was my favourite spot just because the trees are along the river. 😂

Before coming to Japan, I did a few research on which locations in Kyoto I could still see the cherry blossoms even after full bloom. Yikes, I couldn't get enough of these trees.

Taking the Sagano Scenic Railway offered a front row experience to the sakura trees along the Hozugawa River. But if taking this train isn't an option, the Arashiyama Monkey Park gives a good viewing location, just walk around.


Some temples also have some cherry blossom trees within its yard. I got lucky to be able to touch these flowers when I got inside the Okochi Sanso Garden. Disclaimer: No cherry blossoms were harmed during the shot. 😂 I was extremely gently when I tried to touch the flowers on the tree.

Is the Philosopher's Path part of your itinerary? You are in luck! There are also rows of sakura trees in this location! And the best part, it's along a river so it's more Instagramable.😇 It was already late when I came here and was raining, so there was less crowd.

On my last day in Kyoto, separation anxiety kicked in. I didn't want to leave cuz I felt like I haven't explored much the place... but then when I was walking towards the Kyoto station from my hostel, there was a last surprise for me.

Nearby my hostel, seriously just less then 5 mins walk, there are plenty of sakura trees along the Kamo River! No crowd! All for myself! 😀 It felt  so good when the wind blew and some flowers danced with the wind falling on the ground. So magical! 😍

When I got in Osaka, I didn't expect much in terms of seeing more cherry blossom trees. I stayed in a hotel within the city centre and had a tight schedule so no trees within walking distance. But of course I still managed to see some at the Osaka Castle. 😊Sadly, it was pouring (like there's no tomorrow) so I didn't stay long and didn't have much photos.

Overall, it was a great experience travelling to Japan in spring with so many activities to do from visiting temples and must-visit spots to Oiran transformation. It was quite a rush but still memorable. So, I will be back for sure to experience it again, and this time, I will take my sweet time. 😊

See you again Japan!


1-8 Apr '23