Phuket, Thailand: Once is Never Enough


Have you been to a place once then you keep coming back? That's Phuket for me (aside from Kuala Lumpur). It's a great escape from busy city life.

Sometime in 2018, I got to experience the fun vibe of this exotic island for the first time, and happiness was painted on my face all the time. We opted to stay in Patong town, which is around an hour away from the airport and just a stone's throw away from the famous redlight district, yup that's the place. 😉

Fast forward to 2022 post-pandemic, I found myself exploring more of what the island has to offer.... in 3 days.

But why do I keep coming back? Here are just a few of the many reasons.

Beautiful Beaches

During the first visit, we joined an island hopping tour to Maya Bay and other islands with magnificent beaches. Not gonna deny it, I am one of those tourists who wanted to see where the film "The Beach" was shot. Sadly, Maya beach was closed for rehabilitation. I was upset, but there was nothing we could do. So, I was just contented admiring the island from afar. But I promised myself that I will be back, and by this time, I will step a foot on its warm, fine sand.


Rich Marine Life

Swimming might not be part of my skill set, but hey, I also enjoy snorkeling and taking a quick glimpse of what lies beneath those sparkling turquoise waters.

Even in the shallow waters, you can find some fish!


Islands, Islands...More Islands

There are many islands to explore from this side of Thailand. In Phuket, the Maya Bay tour is perhaps the most popular must-do activity among tourists alongside the James Bond island tour in Phang Nga Bay. As the name suggests, the latter gained popularity since it was one of the locations for the movie “The Man with the Golden Gun” in 1974.

On the second visit, we travelled an hour from Phuket to Pha Nga and took a long tail boat ride to get to the destination - James Bond island. The view en route to the island was spectacular and relaxing that I almost fell asleep. Although honestly, the waters looked scary as my playful mind started imagining what if there are crocs there.. arg!

From the James Bond island, we dropped by the Koh Panyi which is a floating village to have our lunch, explore the community living on the water, and shop around.


Spectacular View from the Top

After the James Bond tour, we decided to take a Phuket city tour the following day since we haven't had the chance to do it back in 2018.

Our first destination - the top of the mountain! Located atop Nakkerd Hill near Chalong and sitting over 400m above sea level, there lays the biggest Buddha on the island - the Phuket Big Buddha, or The Great Buddha of Phuket. It looks so huge standing 45 metres tall; it reminded me of the Big Buddha in Hong Kong

From the mountain, you'll get a 360 view of Phuket city. Unfortunately, during our visit, the weather didn't cooperate - it was pouring that we had to wear a raincoat just to continue exploring the place. Fog obstructed our view of the town - almost zero visibility of the city from the top 😭. Until we left, the rain was unforgiving. Luckily, we met a baby elephant on the way so we decided to feel this little big fella. 😁


Sumptuous Food

A visit to Phuket is never complete without rewarding your tastebuds with local food. Forget about diet when you are in Phuket! The food choices are good and budget-friendly! Since we always stay at Lub D hotel, which is nearby a myriad of eating places, we were spoilt with choices! From the all-time favourite Phad Thai to fresh coconut, you'll never run out of food options during your stay. That's guaranteed! Even during our tour, there were good food choices.

Sticky Mango Rice is a must-try food. Ha! The price may vary depending on where you buy it, but you can find one at around 150 Baht. 😋

Every Sunday in Phuket town, there seems to be a night market and it starts in the late afternoon. And we were glad to personally experience it. Food, food, food.. everywhere you look you can find food. 

Relaxing Massage

I admit, one of the top reasons why I keep coming back to Phuket is the massage... decent massage 😂 There are many massage shops nearby our hotel or should I say, massage shops are everywhere in Phuket. During our first visit, we tried it one time - our first time trying Thai massage and we were caught off-guard by how it is done. 😂😅I swore to myself "I will never do it again".. that's what I told myself in 2018.


I have tried Thai massage in Malaysia, but nothing beats the one in Thailand. So on the second visit, I had a massage almost every night after a long tiring day. Why not when it only costs SG$40 for a whole-body massage. 😊

Shopping

Love to shop? No problem, you can find several stalls selling different apparel, from clothes to shoes to bags (or any souvenirs) at the night market. If you missed the night market or don't have time, some islands part of the guided tour have shops selling souvenirs. Or you can check out those stalls nearby the hotels. 


I don't shop for apparel rather I go for souvenirs, like fridge magnets, scarf, a local delicacy that I can bring home, skin/hair care, and other stuff. 

Red Light District

Less than 15 minutes walk from the Lub D hotel is the infamous red light district in Patong. The first time visiting the place, I felt like melting seeing women in skimpy clothes (or nothing at all). Ladyboys?! Drags?! Yup, you can see them there! Bars flooded the area with people offering deals for liquor while other bars inside those dim corners offer adult shows (no need to expound what type of shows) 😄😂 

Eventually, my conservative alter ego learned to become open-minded when it comes to this business. So in 2022, we went back to the infamous place and just enjoyed the amusing vibe. After 3 years, I observed some notable changes. More people were going to the place to drink and just have fun (legit kind of fun); not just men visitors but women as well. We even saw parents pushing a stroller with a toddler on it! Based on experience, the people working for the bars were friendly and they don't act indecently on the streets or force visitors to go to their bars. I mean not in a way that will annoy you. 

So there you go, these are the reasons why Phuket has a special place in my heart. Will I come back? Without a doubt, I will!

See you again Phuket!