W Kuala Lumpur: Beyond Luxury


Discover an urban oasis tucked in the heart of the busting Kuala Lumpur....oh wait, I get carried away. 🤭 Just sharing an extraordinary experience of staying at a 5-star luxury hotel in KL called, W Kuala Lumpur. 🤗


As a regular visitor in Kuala Lumpur, there's one thing that I have been longing to do during a visit... and that is to dip in a pool overlooking the Petronas Twin Towers. Sounds funny? Nah. It's a decision that requires time to ponder since most of the hotels encompassing this famous landmark carry a hefty price tag. Yikes!

To cut the story short, we booked an overnight stay at W Kuala Lumpur, opting for the Spectacular room with Petronas Twin Towers view at RM 796.06 (SG $262.09). 🤭 Good thing being a member of the Marriott Bonvoy has its own perks so no regrets. hahaha

WooBar



We wanted to check-in early so we headed to the hotel before 3pm, unfortunately, our room wasn't ready yet. The receptionist informed us that our room might be ready in an hour and a half; she was apologetic and gave us a freebie as a compensation for the late check-in so we agreed. We got complimentary drinks at the WooBar.


Fast-forward to an hour and a half, we went back to the reception area and I almost lost my cool when our room wasn't still ready. The receptionist explained the reason and my mind went blank... thinking about the price versus the experience. A lady staff, I think their supervisor, cut-in to enquire what happened. After a quick discussion between the two ladies, they decided to give us a temporary room to relax while waiting for our room to be ready. Finally!

I can't wait to check out the pool.. 🤭

Image result for w kuala lumpur room
Credit: W KL - Marriott

I was stunned when we entered the temporary room, which was located at the corner of  the 15th floor.... it was so chic and bright. Love the pink couch facing the towers. A mix of emotions came flooding in; happiness, excitement, thrilled.... My brain was busy admiring the room then we prepared to go swimming that I inadvertently neglect taking photos. 😱 I remembered when we were already in our booked room. *sigh*

The Outdoor Pool



Time to take a dip.. Wish granted! 🤗

There were a few guests on the deck; some were enjoying a refreshing dip in the inviting pool while others were simply chillin' with cool drinks on the couches and lounge chairs surrounding the pool.


After an hour (or less) of relaxing in the pool area, we headed back to our temp room to wash up and get ready for a super late lunch. Being a few minutes away from KLCC, we decided to have our lunch in the mall.

The Reception 



By time we went back to the hotel at around 6pm, our room was ready. At last! We just collected our stuff in the temp room and moved up to the 17th floor.

Something worth mentioning is the reception area's interior which inclined towards a heritage-inspired design. It exhibits a waterfall of pulsating LED lights that switch colours (pink, purple, blue and white) along with (3) stand-alone reception desks and bed-like chandeliers.

The Room


Is it really spectacular as the name suggests? Let's see...


As expected in a five-star hotel, the room was....sumptuous. But honestly, I preferred the temp room 'cuz the pink couch stole my heart. I had a temporary separation anxiety. hahaha 😆 Nonetheless, our room had indeed a spectacular view overlooking the city skyline and the Petronas Twin Towers - thanks to the floor-to-ceiling windows. Not only our room was large, it featured vibrant decors and fixtures; I was in love with the pendant lights at the corner. Speaking of lights, the room's lights are adjustable to different moods (feelin' romantic? change the light's mood to red) via a quick tap on the control panels. 😉


In-room amenities include a flat-screen TV, telephone, bluetooth sound bar, fridge with drinks, snacks and liquor drinks, Nespresso coffeemaker and other basic stuff.

Aside from the bar counter with stools, we had a coffee table with chairs beside the windows where we had a panoramic view of the bustling city scenery.

The Bathroom


Oh my, the en suite bathroom was superb!


The rear part was the toilet, decorated with a pendant and wall light. The sliding glass door provides some privacy if you wanna do your thing.. 😉 Another thing that astonished me was the rain shower which lights up when turned on (at a certain degree, I think).. I remember I ranted for a minute when it didn't light up.. hahaha Then there's the vanity mirror with a retractable mirror on the side. The bathroom features the basic toiletries with hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers and a few towels (not just 2 but a lot).


And my favourite part... the big bathtub! 😍 I bought some bath bombs 'cuz I know I'm gonna spend an hour or two soaking in the tub. The best part was it had an unobstructed view of the skyscapers and the towers (and the TV too). 😆 So I was soaking while adoring the view.

After settling down in our room, we explored the other facilities.

The Fitness Centre



Pardon my blurry shot....😆 The fitness centre is situated at the same level as the pool and the spa (I think). There were different types of equipment in the gym which I am not really familiar with the name; all these made it fully equipped. I tried running on the treadmill for a few minutes then switched to the stationery bike. We were surprised to see a punching bag (perfect to release all your angst haha), and yah I did a couple of (imperfect) roundhouse. My oh my... It's been a while so no more practice.

The WET Deck


When the night falls, the pool transforms into a posh and vibrant bar, known as the WET Deck.


It's open to public and guests are expected to wear casual outfits. From the usual tables and bar counter in the covered section, there were sittings in the open - surrounding the pool. When we get there, the staff led us to the oversize cushioned lounge chair. Lurve it!

I heard the bar is quite popular among locals. Why not when it is endowed with a wide-open view of the city's skyline, most notably the Petronas Twin Towers. You can do star-gazing while having a fun. The vibrant lights and the smoke effect spewed by a mechanism set in the middle of the pool added an exotic feel.


The bar has its own entrance, which of course, we checked out. T'was splendid! The walls were covered with shimmering decor, reflecting dazzling, colourful lights. We felt out of place with our gym outfits, so we returned to our room to get dressed.


WET Deck boasts its own inventory of cocktails and mix of drinks; the selection is somewhat distinctive, like the coconut rum. I forgot the name of the cocktail I had but it had a pleasant taste. Aside from the drinks, the menu also includes food choices ranging from local dishes to bite options.

After savouring the view and good drinks, we headed back to our room.

The In-room Dining



We were a bit hungry so we decided to call for an in-room dining service. It was only one of the few times I tried in-room dining, and W KL surprised me... big time! 😚 The food we ordered were served on a room service trolley. I might sound funny but it was my first time seeing it in person; I've mostly see it on TV. Usually when we do in-room dining, the food are just delivered and we eat on the room table. This one, it was such an impressive service.


Almost sleeping time... The street was almost empty but still looked magnificent from the top.

Good morning KL!.... How does it feel waking up with this kind of view? Such as a majestic feeling!


Breakfast? Yes please.... We got a food delivery for brunch. And since we checked-in late, we were allowed to check out late - just enough time for the flight.. Thanks W KL! 😚


Our breakfast was made more memorable with this scenery. I don't wanna go.... 😊

Around 2pm or 3pm, we checked out - with a heavy heart (erm just me). hahaha then something caught my attention.. the mats outside the lift! We noticed they change greetings depending on the time of the day: good morning, afternoon and evening. I thought it was a projection from the ceiling but I was on top of the mat. I need to discover how it's done! 🤣


When the receptionist realised we were not able to check-in on time, she gave us a token - W KL tumbler! yay!  🥰 Gracias!

In addition to the mentioned facilities, W Kuala Lumpur houses two in-house restaurants (Yen and Flock), AWAY Spa and a steam room. Their front desk is open 24-hour for services like currency exchange, luggage and other concierge service.


To sum up our experience at W Kuala Lumpur, it surpassed our expectations (except for the delayed check-in) and we truly enjoyed every moment spent. Indeed, it is not just another luxury hotel. It's a place you'd want to come back......if you have the budget. 😆

Thanks again W KL!

Jan '20