Topas Ecologe: Sapa's Stairway to Heaven


Looking for a perfect place to escape the noisy and busy city life?

Such place do exists.... but requires time, energy and lots of patience to get to.

(1) Time - the place is located in Sapa, Vietnam so it is a must to travel by land for a few hours from Hanoi. (2) Energy - with the long land trip, humidity (it was fudging hot during our trip) and waiting time for our shuttle service, my energy was so drained. (3) Patience - I would say 80% of the road heading to the lodge was not yet completed or should I say concrete, hence, a huge part of our journey was so bumpy, it made me dizzy.

But everything was worth it when we arrived..... Welcome to Topas Ecolodge, a place that I self-declared as "Stairway to Heaven."


So how did it all began? Well, I was browsing my newsfeed (and my newsfeed is filled with either animal posts or travel posts) then my eyes caught this stunning view of the pool overlooking the mountains. Okay, I need to go here and then in less than 3 hours, we booked everything.. hahaha

Entrance Lobby



After almost an hour of a bumpy ride, at last we reached the lodge.

Topas Ecolodge is located on a picturesque hilltop deep in the mountains of Hoang Lien National Park. It is approximately 45 minutes outside Sapa town in North Vietnam.


Why I fell in love with the place at first sight? My camera couldn't capture enough what my eyes witnessed. I can't even think of words to describe the place. It's just blissful!

The overlooking views of valleys, rice paddies and mountains caught my breath away. It was like a dream, so peaceful and relaxing. In an instant, I was transported somewhere where I could only hear the sound of wind blowing, birds chirping, plants quivering with delight as they gracefully sway. These sounds have become strangers to my senses, living in one of the busiest city in the world.

The Reception & Dining Area



With a quick glimpse, I could easily differentiate the lodge from those towering -star hotels in the city. Unlike the typical hotels, the lodge doesn't have the contemporary appearance rather it replicates the look of native houses constructed with brick as the foundation and covered with a thatched roof using some-kind of leaves.


The lodge promotes sustainability and community development; from the materials used to build the infrastructure to the amenities in each room, these are deemed to be environmental friendly. True to their vision to protect the local environment.


Topas Ecolodge also employs staff from local minority groups which means they are helping these people earn a living. The staff were trained well as they showcased quality service and are very accommodating.


The interiors and decors exude a nostalgic feeling....like I was brought back to the times when we visited our grandparents in the province.


The huge windows allow the natural light and fresh air in, which eventually saves them energy. The rice terraces surrounding the vicinity make stunning backdrop for that Insta-worthy photos.


The dining area was very spacious with the option to dine indoor or outdoor at the balcony. And oh, have I mentioned the breakfast buffet includes a massive food choices? Yup, it was a feast....satisfying my gastronomical desire.


The wooden tables and vintage-ish looking utensils added a classic touch to the dining area.


Breakfast by the mountains anyone? What's not to love in this kind of scenery?

The Bungalows



Now let's get into the room...err.. I mean bungalows which served as temporary homes for guests.


The small lodge features 33 bungalows built resembling a chalet-style single bedroom home. These bungalows were made from local white granite designed to harmoniously blend in with the surrounding.


Each bungalow possesses a casual design with a private balcony, showing off an awe-inspiring view of the towering peaks and boundless valleys carpeted with rice terraces and dotted with villages of the ethnic minorities.


While I love lying on the comfortable canopy bed with curtains around it, the wide windows were calling me. Yes I'm coming... and so there it goes, the wide window flawlessly accommodated my small physique while I was trying to.... read a book. But no, please don't try this without care, chances are, you will fall off the window and roll down the hill. ^_^


The bathroom was generously big with a bamboo-like ladder where we hung our clothes and towels. It also featured an electric clothes hanger which was very useful to dry up our wet clothing.


The view from the balcony was marvelous, especially during sunset. Aside from the mountain scenery, our bungalow also offered a pleasing sight of the pool and reception area.

The Infinity Pool



And so.. the hero of this trip - Topas Ecologe infinity pool. I admit, this was the top reason why I begged, errhmm, not really beg cuz I didn't put into words my darkest desire to book the lodge. In fact, I was just quiet but I guess my gesture and actions spoke louder than my words. ^_^


T'was a sunny late afternoon so I basked under the warmth of the sun then snapped some photos against the lovely background.

Yes, I stalked the Instagram account of the lodge to see the pool. hahaha.. Too bad it wasn't cloudy when we visited, the sky was very clear. It would have been more dramatic if the sky was decorated with clouds.


Book..is always a travel companion. And it was a good idea to bring one since Wifi is only available in the main restaurant and lounge area. It made me adore this place even more as it gives the guests an excuse to disconnect from technology, from social media and immerse in nature.

The Vicinity



The cobblestone pavement with lush green grasses on the side added an impressive charm to the whole vicinity. If I am not mistaken, the pavement are illuminated with solar-powered lights at night.

But despite having lights installed on the walkways, be warned, it is still dark in most part of the lodge at nighttime. Yes, it can get pitch-dark at night time and all you can hear are cricket buzzing and the gust of the wind. Call me weird but I love it!


In the middle at the top of the hill, there is a barbecue pit and a gazebo that guests can use if they want to have a small gathering.


Standing atop the hill, the gazebo offers a spectacular 360-view of the surrounding. Such a delightful experience to be in here.


In front of the reception area, there are tables and chairs set up with umbrellas where guests can chill while enjoying the landscape. Want more? Guests can soak up in herbal baths and/or savour an invigorating massage overlooking the valley at the lodge's hilltop spa.

The mountainous area makes it ideal for trekking and mountain biking. From the lodge, there is a nearby village accessible by bike. Sadly, I don't know how to bike so I didn't got the chance to visit it.


So, dreaming of an adventure and a relaxation retreat at the same time? Topas Ecolodge should be on the top list, where you can listen to the sound of nature and experience the culture first hand.


April '19