Taiwan: Welcome to Taipei and Hello Yilan


Best known as a shopper’s and diner's paradise, Taiwan offers much more than Taipei 101 and temples. Warning, it's gonna be a long post so please bear with me. ^_^

Ahhhh Taiwan. One day my Facebook newsfeed was flooded with picturesque images of different tourist destinations in Taiwan (geez thanks friends for making me so jealous at that time). And before I knew it, this tiny off-the-grid island located at the south east coast of China landed a spot on my bucket list.

Plane ticket..check! Accommodation..check! These were just the most important things for me. ^_^


Less than 2 months from planning the trip, Taiwan warmly (literally) welcomed me. Yup I visited during humid season. T_T So let's hop onto my first day in this delightful island that boasts breathtaking national parks and stunning beaches, mountains, valleys and hot springs!

Day 1: Welcome to Taipei


Going to Taiwan High Speed Rail


After passing through the immigration, my first goal was to purchase a sim card as I needed internet connection..... for maps.

I badly wanted to try the Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR), so I pre-booked (online) a ticket from Taoyuan to Taipei Main Station. ^_^ From the Taoyuan Airport, I took the train to Taoyuan THSR station - just 2 stops. And there I go.... happy child! ^_^


The THSR runs approximately 350 km, along the island's west coast, from Taipei to Kaohsiung - southern city.


The bullet train ticket indicated the train number, timing, car number, and seat number. No worries, you won't miss the train if you pay attention to the time and the train number. The train number is also shown on the train itself and no need to spend time looking for your car and seat number as the platform is clearly labelled.


Excitement filled me since it was my first time riding a bullet train. The interior looked similar to that of an aircraft.


Imagine a child riding a plane for the first time, looking out of the window with a big smile on the face... yup, that's how I looked like.

Then the stewardess walked in pushing a food cart, stopped at my seat and offered something to eat and drink. My mouth suddenly blurted out a silly response "is it free?" and she said "yes" hahaha. I wanted to be ashamed but hey, it was my first time (good excuse). I opted for a tea and mooncake, I was starving.


20 minutes had passed and I reached one of the busiest stations in Asia and the major transport hub in Taiwan - the Taipei Main Station.

Taipei Main Station


Think it's just an ordinary station? Think again.... I was told a lot of things about it but all those didn't sink in until I saw it myself. Indeed, there’s a lot more to this central transportation hub than meets the eye.


Served as the first stop for tourists who arrive in Taipei, this city centre train station sits atop a vast underground network consisting of hallways and tunnels which houses several dining shops, shopping stores and a meeting place. Yup you heard it right. Taipei Main Station is the home to a massive number of stores in the underground shopping streets and eateries beneath it.

For tourist like me, the underground streets make a confusing warren of restaurants and shops. T_T Whew! Lucky me, I always found my way around even through I got lost.. And oh, there are lockers situated in some of the exits to store stuff.

At the Taipei Main Station, commuters can take the MRT (Metro), Taiwan HSR (high-speed trains), TRA trains (regular trains), buses and the Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System.

Breakfast @ Sunflower


Next up, I needed to fill my stomach so it will keep quiet. ^_^ The underground shops were still closed when I arrived so I made my way to Sunflower - a highly recommended restaurant. With the help of my friend - Google map (thank you mwuah!) - I know it was supposedly easy to find, but hey it was my first time...so it's expected that I will get lost. -_-


Along the way and while I was lost, I dropped by Family Mart to purchase my Easy Card (equivalent to EZLink in Singapore). At long last the restaurant signage flashed before my eyes!


Sunflower is just a small food shop but has plenty of customers. Yikes! Glad I got a table to enjoy the food and rest for a while. They offer an array of delicious breakfast food at a reasonable prices.


I ordered Ham and Cheese Croissant with Green Tea. All I needed was a quick food since I was chasing time.


After an hour, I moved on to my next destination....

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall


Erected in honour of the former President of the Republic of China, Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, the CKS Memorial Hall is known as the most prominent historical landmark in the country. A visit to Taipei isn't complete without seeing this octagon-shaped white building.


Lost??? Nope, I wasn't! There's a huge guide map just outside the metro train station (and there were aunties and uncles handing out some flyers...)

So I went inside the vicinity, expecting a flock of tourists... and to my surprise it wasn't crowded rather overly crowded as there was a local event during that day. Yikes!!!! Was I lucky or what?

The sun was fiery but I was hotter.. Joke!! hahaha


I endured the unforgiving heat of the sun, quickly taking photo of the square, which is officially named as Liberty Square.

Aside from the main hall, the entire vicinity houses CKS, National Concert Hall and the National Theatre. There's also a museum below the main hall with exhibits and documentations about the rich history of Taiwan.


Expectation vs reality.... Yes I thought about this while standing in front of the huge gate. I wanted to snap my fingers to take a photo without the crowd and bring them back after, then I realised I didn't have the gaunlet... errr... I mean the realisation came in that crowds add human element to my not-to-nice photo. hahaha


The crowds were slowly thinning as the scorching July sun continues to burn our skin....but it didn't bother me. My heart was fluttering with the excitement I felt.

On the opposite side of the main gate...there stood proudly the highlight of this tourist spot. Marked by a striking pure white structure with a navy blue hued roof, the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall never fails to catch attention being one of Taipei's most iconic landmarks.


The maze-like garden and rows of tall pines on both sides exude a fresh feeling even though it was very hot. ^_^


Visitors needed to take 1 of the 2 sets of 89 steps that lead up to the main hall which houses the large bronze statue of Chiang.


While I was flabbergasted by the statue's size and the writings behind it, what caught my attention was the stunning interiors especially the intricate details on the ceiling decors. It was grand!


 Perhaps one of the highly anticipated happenings inside the main hall is the hourly changing of military personnel who briskly guard the statue. Sadly, I wasn't able to witness it since I only had limited time to spend.


Before I bid farewell to this place, my eyes feasted on this delightful scenery. Felt like I was standing on a castle...


There's a man-made pond located on the side of the main hall where visitors can sit and just relax before going out... Time was running out for me so I needed to rush.....

ATT 4 Fun - Studio Ghibli Shop


Does "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Ponyo" ring a bell? Oh well, I am proud to admit that I am a fan of Studio Ghibli animations (don't care 'bout my age). ^_^

My next destination is perhaps not on the list of must-visit places in Taipei - the ATT 4 Fun. For Studio Ghibli fans, however, this place is heaven. ATT 4 Fun is actually a contemporary mall with varied fashion shops, posh-themed restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It is just opposite of Taipei 101. In fact, there's a bridge that linked the mall to the building (if I am not mistaken).


As mentioned, I am addicted to these animations, especially "Totoro" - my passport cover is Totoro. hahaha. And so, I would never miss a chance to visit the Donguri Republic which sells Studio Ghibli items. The shop is located at the basement of the mall and is impossible to be missed as you will be greeted by a giant Totoro.


Yes the kid in me leaped for joy! I couldn't contain my self seeing and touching the Cat Bus and No Face. My heart was filled with so much excitement that I scanned carefully each item, touched, stared... and talked to it????? hahaha


The items were a bit pricey but hey, they are genuine Studio Ghibli products. I bought some items....without realising how much I spent and just figured out later, like later later of the day - that I have already spend half of my pocket money in just 7 hours. Ooppsss.. I needed to get outta here quick!!!!

Taipei 101


With a few hours left before my departure from Taipei, I opted not to check out the Taipei 101, formerly known as the Taipei World Financial Centre. This super tall skyscaper is truly eye-catching, especially during nighttime. I snapped some photos of the landmark and left.


Just to share a fact about Taipei 101 - Standing at 508 metres, it is built to withstand the strong winds and earthquake tremors.


Hungry after visiting all these spots? No worries as there are restaurants within the area. There's one place on my mind....

Ximending District


I needed to cross out this must-visit place on my list before I left Taipei, for a few days. No doubt, every tourist has stepped foot on this shopping district. Although it is situated in the oldest part of the city, it is labelled as the heart of youth culture and fashion. Isn't paradoxical?


Before heading to the shopping district, I got a quick glimpse of this historical culture landmark - the "Red House." Poised with its octagon shape, this red building can immediately catch attention not just due to the crowd of youngsters and tourists but it simply stands out from the rest. It presents a diversity culture of the country for the past century.


Love shopping? If Japan has "Harajuku", Taipei has Ximending! How good is that? It is the place-to-be for outdoor shopping with its abundant options of shops and restaurants. So from clothing to electronics to food, this place got you covered!



T'was past noon time and the crowd was already crazy...Bubble Tea! I wanted to find the best bubble tea but the one I found has the longest queue, and I didn't have luxury of time. T_T

So I continued walking around, covering almost every corner to check what's in there. I got my bubble tea from a less queued shop and it was mediocre.. Got some souvernirs then hurried back to Ximen mrt.


And oh, did I mentioned Ximending is a favourite go-to place for movie-goers? Yup, and there I saw the billboard of "Detective Conan." 0_0 Must rush to Taipei Main Station to catch the local train to Yilan....

Yilan


After one and a half hour (departed @ exactly 2:10pm and arrived @3:40pm), I finally reached Jiaoxi - a town before the Yilan station. Located in the northeast of Taiwan, this county is surrounded by mountains and faces the Pacific Ocean.


From the station, we walked around 10-20 mins to search for our hotel. I was so thrilled to experience the town for 2 days - a great refresher from being in a busy city.


I adored the sense of calmness and relax aura of the town. There were tall structures but I could see the mountains serving as the backdrop. ^_^


A lot of travellers are now flocking to Yilan to see several attractions, including Cueifong Lake, Cilan Forest Recreational Area, Dongshan River Water Park, Loudong Night Market and Hot Spring. Speaking of hot spring, we chose a hotel with hot spring so we don't need to go to a public hot spring to enjoy it. Yes we had a bathtub and the water was from the hot spring!!! I super love it!

Here's a fun trivia and perhaps one good reason worth mentioning to convince tourist to include Yilan in the next trip. Travellers can experience a rare phenomenon called Su'ao Cold Spring, that only occurs in two places in the world - Yilan and Italy. Sadly I wasn't able to try this... but there's always a next time.

Loudong Night Market


After a power nap...errr a couple of hours sleep and a quick lunch (late lunch), we headed to this famous night market in Yilan. Oh my... it was crazy! O_O

The bustling crowds looked scary at first - I wanted to back out but I must experience it. We rubbed elbows with other people, got a little push here and there then stuck in the middle of the street while wondering what caused the traffic.


An ocean of food stalls mushroomed in almost every corner of the street offering a wide selection of street food options. Grilled food? Noodles? Desserts? They've got it!


Some shops got people queuing patiently just to buy the food.... I bet it's really good. We decided not to join the craze as we continued exploring the area.


Aside from the street food, inexpensive clothing and shoe shops are also available in Luodong night market. There were also game stalls - shooting balloons....looks fun.

We spent around two hours exploring the night market then headed back to catch the train. Here's a tip to avoid a huge crowd in Luodong Night Market, schedule the visit on weekdays. We visited on weekends which was why we bumped into the weekend crowds.


On the way back to the train station, we dropped by this popular milk tea shop. Finally, I got a decent milk tea in Taiwan. I ordered a "taro" milk tea and it brought me to cloud nine.


Another shop that caught our attention was this chilli store which is just nearby the hotel. It sells an array of products with chilli ranging from ice cream to beer. I was tempted to buy the ice cream but since I couldn't take spicy food, I decided to control myself. hahaha

And then we called it a day.... It was a jam-packed day 1 for me. It was tiring but worth it since there were a lot of things I saw, tasted and experienced in less than 24 hours.

Day 2 coming up!



6 July 2019