Mount Buller: Winter Wonderland



A three hour drive from Melbourne (could be more), Mount Buller offers a dreamy sanctuary to those who desire to experience......the snow.. during winter season in the land down under. Situated 1,805 metres above sea level, this resort village is popular not just to locals but to tourists as well to enjoy various winter sports and activities.


Streets and trees were covered with thick snow. Yup, we did shovel the snow covering our pathway towards the road and the roof.😁


Driving was a big challenge, especially to those who haven't tried doing so in the snow. A snow chain is required for all vehicles coming to the village to reduce the risk of accidents.


The piled up snow on trees and roofs can be dangerous if it collapsed. I have witnessed branches falling off due to the heavy and piled up snow; our roof was fully covered with snow then suddenly collapsed covering our already stuffed entry way and doorway. Mount Buller is indeed a winter wonderland!


First Winter With Snow

I have been to places with winter but no snow, so I was so excited when I found out that we will be going to a place with snow - Mt. Buller! ❆⛄


Halfway to the going up to the resort, we needed to make a stop to attach the tire chain as the road was getting slippery. We could already see snowfall on the road, and we hopped off a bit to enjoy it.

the curious ones while others stayed in the bus

Once we reached the resort, we started looking for our Airbnb house... Yikes! Everything were covered in snow! It took us a few minutes to locate our home for 2 days. After settling down, we just prepared food and became lazy! 😂 However, I had already my little adventure....


While the group were looking for our cottage, I checked out other stuff in the area and went to buy a different hand gloves. The pair I was using wasn't thick enough to keep my palms warm. I continued walking around, checking out the various snow activities. Afterwards, I followed the group to our cottage - I was taken aback when I saw it enveloped in snow. 😁


There are free shuttle buses that goes to different areas in the resort. One of which took me to our cottage even though it wasn't their route! 😄 A big thank you to the driver.

When I said we got lazy, I meant it. 😄 We didn't really do much. For most of us, it was our firs time experiencing snowfall, so I think our body got overwhelmed. We did simple activities, including snow tubing and toboggan slide. Oh it was fun! All of us were like kids, especially when the snow started to fall. 


Is Mt. Buller Worth it?

With Australia's winter opposite to the other regions, anyone who wants to beat the heat can come here. The resort is definitely worth the visit for various activities, not just the ones we tried 🤭, but a lot more especially skiing. Accommodation is not a problem since many homes are listed for rent, making it ideal for family or group.


Tip: Bring your own food supply to avoid the need to go to restaurants which can get crowded during this peak season.




Thank you for the experience, Mt. Buller!




Aug '18