Batu Caves: The Gold, The Steps and The Monkeys


When I think of the Batu Caves, these three things pop up in my mind..... gold statue, steps and monkeys everywhere.

For quite a while, I wanted to go back to Kuala Lumpur just to visit the Batu Caves. Yes, that was my only reason for desiring to visit KL again. Most of my friends have been there and so I was intrigued. Out of nowhere, I decided to pursue this plan over the weekend. Booked my tickets and accommodation then the next thing I know, I was on my way to KL.


Visiting the Batu Caves was the only itinerary I had during the day (sounds boring right?). I don't know how to get there but I was excited just thinking of how to get there. I was a bit lost at first but I found my way back on track.

How to Get to the Batu Caves


From my hotel, I took the train to KL Sentral then took a free bus ride to Sentul station. From this station, I took the KTM train to the Batu Caves. Yup, t'was that simple!

Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for direction at any concierge or information. They will gladly assist you.

Welcome to Batu Caves


Situated almost 100 metres above the ground, the Batu Caves temple consists of three main caves and smaller ones.

Standing in front of the 140 feet statue of Lord Murugan, I had this gigantic adrenaline rush while imagining how many steps I needed to climb to reach the top.

Let the climbing begin....visitors must climb a steep flight of almost 300 steps to reach biggest cave. No worries, you can always rest and take photo amidst your climb.


While climbing the steep stairs, you will likely meet some hairy friends.. Ola Boots! Oh wait... I'm not Dora.... ^_^ There are monkeys everywhere! Actually, even at the foot of the hill, monkeys are freely roaming.


After a few stops... pretending to take photos but I was actually catching my breathe...I finally reached the top! And so I entered the Cathedral Cave. I was astonished at the very high ceiling which is made up of limestone. There were also ornate Hindu shrines inside.

I walked farther and saw more steps to climb! It felt like a never ending stairs...


Once I reached the top (again?), I was speechless with what I saw. This part of the cave was more breathtaking. More ornate shrines and a curtain of limestone! And the best part, the opening at the centre of the cave which allows the natural light to illuminate the place.


During my visit, there was an on-going construction and development so there were scaffolding and other construction materials inside the cave.

The floor was also a bit wet due to the water dripping from the ceiling.


On the left side of the main cave is the Dark Cave where visitors get the chance to see rock formations and some animals that can't be found anywhere else. There's a small fee for this particular activity.


On the opposite side of the Dark Cave, there's a small waterfall.


With overlooking view of the city, all efforts in reaching the top was worth it - truly rewarding.

Time to go back! Heading down was easy but scary since you can see the steep stairs. I was drenched in sweat and hungry but satisfied.


A reminder to women who are planning to visit the Batu Caves: be sure to wear long bottom (jeans/pants/trousers/long skirts) or bring a sarong with you. There's a dress code for ladies - no above the knee bottom. Otherwise, you can opt to rent a sarong at the foot of the staircase for a small amount of money.

It was indeed an exciting and priceless trip to the Batu Caves.

See you next time?!

A special thank you to my guide...*wink*


May ' 18