Sumilon Island: Paradise


I've heard a lot of things about you - Sumilon Island. You captivated both local and foreign travelers to meet you up-close and personal. It's fascinating how travelers define your mystique beauty as incomparable. 


steep entrance from the main road
registration area

It's intriguing how these people answered me with a smile instead of flamboyant description every time I asked about you. Countless times I dreamed of being with you; but it was like a luxurious ambition that is hard to achieve. But nothing can stop me from seeing you.

boat took us to the island
Sumilon Island from a far
we docked

I was depressed when I decided to meet you. I was supposed to be in a foreign land - alone enjoying the cheery blossoms around me and the festive mood of Spring Festival. But the trip was cancelled due to an unfavorable circumstance. Yes you were just a rebound, a substitute. Little did I know that you were more than just a second choice, that you deserve to be on top. You didn't fail me. You surprised me. I was awed.


welcome to Sumilon

infinity pool

It was a hot summer day when I finally met you. The weather wasn't harsh (just enough) and the water was calm. However, I had to endure the thick crowd at the terminal and the long ride to get to you. Yes it wasn't easy, but worth it when I caught a glimpse of how you look from a far. You're so little yet so lavish. The sight of you was good enough to make me feel at ease in spite of being alone on this trip. 


shoreline
the water

You offered me so many things to enjoy. You let me experienced things that I'd never done before. I explored your green lagoon through kayaking and stand-up paddling. You were even generous enough to allow me to see what's hidden inside you by giving me a trek guide. I discovered a bit of your past and how you became a big name. In less than an hour, I saw the whole you. You're indeed a little paradise on earth. 


glamping (glamorous + camping) area
kayaking at the green lagoon
standup paddle

I wanted to swim in your waters. I longed to see what awaits for me beneath those turquoise waters. But I was engrossed with other activities that I forgot that your water can't wait for me until late afternoon - low tide. I was disappointed, yes. However, you didn't let me go home without rejuvenating my tired body. You let me relax my stressed body in your Jacuzzi and infinity pool. It was pure bliss.


view from the cliff


passed by the Parola during the trek

Amidst the smile and joy I felt, the laughter I heard from a group of people made me realized that it would have been more fun if I'm with companions, with my friends or family. I set aside the fleeting thoughts to fully savor the moment; that I needed to be alone to rekindle my depressed soul. 


sand bar


me and Jacuzzi

But who I am fooling? From the moment I stepped foot on you, I know you already noticed the emptiness within the deepest part of my soul. So the next time I'll be back, I'll have someone beside me to share your charm. Hand in hand we'll have fun on your waters. We will watch your breathtaking sunset while I rest my head on his shoulder. Someday I'll bring him and introduce to you - my little paradise. Someday...


water surrounding the island

I'll see you again Sumilon!


************


How to get to Sumilon Island


- Get to the South Bus Terminal 

- Ride the bus going to Bato-Oslob
- Tell the conductor you're going to Sumilon Island (fare is Php155, almost 4-hour travel)
- At the port, pay Php2,000 (weekend) or Php1,500 (weekdays) - DAY USE (RT boat ride and lunch buffet included)
- Wait for the boat that will take you to the Island
- Keep in mind the boat schedule going back to the mainland


A trip to Sumilon Island is never difficult if you are always looking for adventure!





April '15