Philippine Passport Validity and Extension Application


Disclaimer: This post is not meant to encourage Philippine passport holders to file validity extension in lieu of passport renewal. The author just wants to share her experience.

I have been traveling to neighboring countries for the past few years. And it was such a shame that I overlooked the 6-month passport validity policy. I didn't really know that I (and everyone who have passports) must have at least 6 months valid passport to be able to leave the country. It was not until 10 days before another flight of mine that I learned about it.

I was scanning Google about the visa requirements of a certain country when I came across a blog detailing all the information I needed. The requirements included passport that is valid for 6 months from the date of departure; I counted how many months I still have - 5 months! I panicked and looked for an agency that can expedite my passport renewal. However, expediting my passport renewal would still not make it. I started losing hope and then I found a post about passport extension.
http://justapieceofme.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/application-for-extension-of-validity-of-passport/

With a little hope left, I went to DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) Cebu at around 11AM since I have another appointment earlier. 

DFA Cebu for Passport Extension
DFA Cebu

At DFA Cebu.

I told the guard about my concern and he forwarded me to the information. The lady in-charged asked me what's my purpose for applying the extension. When I told her that I will be on a vacation, she told me with all honesty that I have a lower chance of getting approval (which I am aware because my reason is not listed in the form). Passport validity extension can be granted when the reason fall under the three categories specified on the form:

Valid Reasons:

1. Sudden death of immediate family
2. Medical condition
3. Employment

There was a note under these categories stating that passport extension is not meant for tourism. And it is highly discouraged to apply one for the mere purpose of vacation.

Nonetheless, the lady at the information gave me the list of requirements. She told me to make my request letter genuine and truthful (and I did in my long-size letter).

Extension Requirements:

1. Letter to the DFA Director stating your reason
2. Extension Form
3. Photocopy of first and last pages of Passport
4. Picture
5. Proof of urgency, e.g. airline ticket
6. Government ID, photocopy

I was able to complete all the requirements by 2PM....... Rewind: From DFA Cebu at Pacific Mall, I traveled to Highway (A.S. Fortuna) to look for Internet cafe where I can print my request letter. Travel time was about 20 minutes one way. No internet cafe inside the mall. Arg!

I submitted all the requirements to the staff at the information table and she stapled all the papers. She then endorsed me to the Director's Office. I sat on the bench outside the office feeling so worried. I felt so tired and hungry. I haven't had my breakfast and lunch. Waiting.... right at that moment I was convinced that I won't get an approval. My tears started to accumulate because I was so upset. My negligence lead me into this mess - I thought, but I diverted my mind, telling myself that if I won't get approved then the trip is not for me.

Passport Extension


A guy from the Director's Office called out some names... my name was the last to be called. I did not expect anything, I just wanted the day to be over with. From afar, I saw the bottom part of my documents. I remembered what those check boxes were: the first two were approved and the last was disapproved.


I got my papers and checked the result. The upper box was encircled stating - approved with the condition to do a continuous passport renewal. (The second option was approved with the condition to renew the passport upon arrival to the destination). Relieved!

Passport Extension
Extension receipt...

I went back to the information and the lady gave me the renewal form. I paid Php200 for the extension and Ph950 for the renewal. I just followed the regular procedure of renewing/applying a passport.

At exactly 5PM, I was done. I was able to renew my passport and got back my old passport with new validity.

Lesson Learned

When you plan to travel abroad, be sure to check the validity of your passport to avoid much hassle. For tourism purpose, the chance of getting extension approval is only 5% (or less). I think many people didn't know about the 6-month validity policy due to lack of information. When I got my passport several years ago, I wasn't told to renew it not later than 6 months from its expiration. Although, it was my bad; I wasn't responsible enough to know about this. Spread the word, this is the best thing to do here.

Final note: It is advisable to have your passport renewed 1 year before the expiration date. Otherwise, you will be sorry if you won't be allowed to leave the country. You will be wasting time and money. I just wished the DFA would have a note stating this policy in each of their offices nationwide for awareness.

Thanks to the DFA staff who guided me in my extension request and passport renewal.

For more information on Passport extension, check this out:

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/WEB%20MATERIALS/passport_amend_guidelines.pdf





















Sept. 8 '14