Whale Watching: Hidden Treasure



One of our itineraries when our former boss visited the PH was to swim with the whale shark in Oslob, Cebu. The town of Tan-awan in Oslob was actually our first stop in our South Trip. It took us 2-3 hours travel to get to the place (we reached around 8:00am). 


whale watching
the weather did not cooperate.. T_T


It was a gloomy day and the wind was a bit unfriendly. From the shore, I saw the tiny waves folding and curling into arched form. Honestly, I was a bit nervous since I don't know how to swim. But nothing can stop me from any adventure!


whale watching

We registered in a logbook and paid Php300/pax (foreigner had higher rate). Since we did'nt have an underwater camera, we rented one for Php500.


whale watching
a boatman was feeding the whale shark..

We rode on a small boat towards the orientation center. There were guidelines that we had to follow, like we can't use sunblock and we should keep a few meters distance from the gentle giants. After a few minutes, it was time to see up close the whale sharks.


whale watching
the closest I could get....

The sharks (two butandings greeted us) were so huge that I think they could swallow me in one gulp. Yikes! One of our boatmen took pictures of every member in our group underwater. Meanwhile, I tried to capture a short video of the sharks through my phone. The swells were a bit strong which made the water hazy. Whew!


whale watching
Tara just a few inches away from the whale.... (sarrey Tars I have to post this.. ;-)..)

Amid our sea adventure, the rain suddenly poured. It was time to go back to the shore..... 


Here's a quick video of the Butanding.




The bad weather slightly affected our activity - Butanding watching, the water wasn't that clear, the surge was strong and it rained. But still the experience was fun as we were able to witness the hidden treasure underneath the water in Tan awan, Oslob. Until next time!




January 18, 2014