Solo Adventure Pt 1: Break Free in Baguio


Baguio is known as the summer capital of the Philippines. It registers a large number of tourists every summer season, that is late March to May. The city is 5,050 feet above sea level, thus it is normal to have low temperature in Baguio. And I admit, I am one of those people who dreamed of seeing the place in person.


lush green rice fields..


On the way to Baguio, I was so amazed at the scenery. There were several rice fields along the road, foggy mountain tops, trees, farm animals, etc. During our ascend, fog got thicker and thicker giving us almost zero visibility. The roads were like intestines with so many curves. But I was not scared rather I felt so excited that I couldn't wait to be there.


looks scary? nah.. it's exciting!


fog!

After 5 hours of bus travel, we reached Baguio. People were nice to direct me whenever I asked for directions going to my hotel - the Baguio Village Inn. I settled in my hotel then started exploring the city right away. It was past lunch when I arrived there, so I can't waste time.




First stop was supposedly the Burnham Park. However, I changed my mind since it is just near my hotel while the others are a bit far. I walked down the Session Road towards the parking place for jeepneys going to Mine's View Park. Notable landmarks where the jeepneys parked are the BPI bank and Danes Bakeshop. I told the driver where I was heading. After a few minutes, we reached Mine's View Park.


at the main entrance..

Mine's View Park is a simple park but so breathtaking. I saw tall pine trees in almost every corner of the park as well as some vendors selling souvenirs and plants (I bought clay pots for my Mama). There was a gazebo atop the cliff giving the visitors an overlooking view of the mountains surrounding the park. I took some pictures and headed back. Near the entrance, I dropped by a photo booth where you can wear Igorot costume (Igorot is one of the many tribes in the country). I got 3 regular sized pictures for Php100.


hmmm the smell is so good.. pine trees
it's so peaceful....
souvenir shops... just checking them not buying.. hahaha

Just outside the park you can find the jeepneys going back downtown. My next stop was the Mansion and the Wright Park. Again, I told the driver where I was heading. In less than 10 minutes, I was at the Mansion.


at the gate of the Mansion..
I so love the yellow flowers.. ^_^

The Mansion is the official residence of the President whenever he/she pays a visit in the city. From the roadside, the wide, green yard of the Mansions was eye-catching. Visitors are not really allowed to get nearer to the house. There was just a particular area where tourists can stay and take pictures, while the rest were restricted.


just across the Mansion...
the mirror lake..

Just across the Mansion was the Wright Park. I did not have any idea on what to expect at the Wright Park except for the horse back riding activity. The Wright Park can be accessed through either the side from the Mansion or the Pacdal Circle. From the Mansion's side, the first thing I noticed was the mirror lake which had a golden yellow water on it. It should be clear. hmm.. What could have happened there? But I was sure that despite the hue of the water on the lake (more of a man-made pond for me), I saw a fish.


still at the Wright Park
guards are present inside the Wright park..

Anyway, I just walked straight until I reached a wooden gazebo. I took a picture and continued walking until I reached a cemented stair (going down). And what's down there was the one I was so excited to experience. I quickly go down and saw the ponies!


very steep stairs going up/down.. T_T
super excited to see these ponies...

I inquired the rate then decided to ride one. I got Jasper - a very nice pony. For Php200, I enjoyed half an hour pony ride around the designated horse back riding area. Unless you know how to ride a horse, every rider should have a guide to accompany them. While taking the horseback riding route, I saw some riders like me, including children, foreigners and some professionals. I kinda interviewed my guide about how they take care of the ponies. It was such a great experience.



At last! I've been waiting for this time that I can ride a pony.. hahaha.. hiha!

After about 20 minutes, I decided to hop off the horse to continue my tour. I rode a jeep and stopped at Botanical Garden.


Manny Pacquiao jogs in this area for his training..

Since I was alone, a guide came to me and offered a tour service (and to be my photographer). I tried to refuse at first, but then I realized there were only few people around whom I can ask to take a picture of me. So I decided to hire him. For like an hour, we scanned every spot of the park starting from the cave where they claimed to be Yamashita's hideout during the war to the last native house of the oldest tribe in Baguio. 

After the tour, I asked the guide how much I need to pay. I know I was overcharged - Php300 for just walking with me and sharing few information. But then I did not argue simply because I wanted to get rid of the guide ASAP!...


inside the Botanical Garden
Old Nipa hut.. my guide told me this is one of the oldest houses of the Igorots.

I hurriedly went out of the garden and took a jeepney back downtown. Amazingly it was already past 6:00pm but it was not dark yet. I recalled the same scenario in Singapore wherein the night usually falls at 7pm. 

I looked for a place to eat, but not a fast food chain as I wanted to try their food in Baguio. Unfortunately, I was super hungry that I could not seemed to go farther from where I was standing. I felt like I was going to collapse when my eyes caught the 7-11 shop. haha.. I needed to fill my stomach! I only ate hot pot and bought a couple of ready-to-eat meal. I arrived at the hotel at around 7pm, washed up and then sleep immediately.





The day after, I originally planned to go to La Trinidad in Benguet for strawberry picking. However, I learned that strawberry picking wasn't possible during that time of the year because it was no longer strawberry season. Peak season often takes place during summer months (April to May) where you can see, pick and eat fresh strawberries. 

Another reason why I did not push through the strawberry picking activity was because of the bus travel from Baguio to the next destination. I needed to get to my next destination before sunset. And the travel time to Vigan is about 5-6 hours.


It's amazing to see those houses built on top and side of the mountains in Baguio.. 

At exactly 9 in the morning, I made my way to the bus terminal going to Vigan. It was almost lunch time when the bus to Vigan arrived at the terminal. 


Bye for now Baguio, I will come back and stay longer! In the meantime, Hello Vigan.....



July 11-12, 2014