Highlight: The Fun and Thrill of Traveling Solo


On my scheduled trip to Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur, I never expected that I'll be able to visit Baguio as well. The supposed to be weekend adventure to Ilocos turned into a five-day trip; thus giving me more time to segue to Baguio. I modified my ready itinerary and included Baguio as my first destination.

Travel time from Cebu to Clark is one and half hour. But actually we arrived a few minutes earlier than scheduled. Urge of being an adventurer, I refused to take a cab to DAU terminal and instead I opted to take a jeepney. I walked 15 minutes from the airport to where jeepneys were waiting.

All along, I thought these jeepneys will take passengers directly to DAU terminal. It turned out that I needed to get out of the airport vicinity before I can ride a jeep to DAU. Luckily people were so kind and nice to guide and direct me. And so I took a jeep towards the main gate of the airport or to the Mabalacat market, approximately 6 mins. The last passenger of the jeepney helped me out on where I could get a jeep to the terminal.

I rode a jeep heading to Angeles for about 15 minutes. My landmark was the Jollibee along the road. Then I walked another 5 mins to the terminal.




Originally, I planned to take Partas bus to Baguio; but I had already waited for an hour, and still no sign of the bus going to the city. Fortunately when I got out of the restroom, I heard someone shouting "Baguio!" so I decided to take that bus - Dagupan Bus Co. Inc. I would highly recommend this bus when going to Baguio or wherever their destination is. It was a great experience on board. The conductor was super attentive to the passengers' needs. Without requesting, he offered to recline my chair a bit so I can rest properly. He even turned the overhead air condition towards me when I tried to reach it.



Another plus point of Dagupan bus was their reliable WiFi on board. While on the road, I was able to message my friends, check my Facebook and email, and browse the internet. It was so wonderful.



I stayed at the Baguio Village Inn for Php300. It was like an old house. From the outside, it seemed ordinary. However, I was stunned when I stepped inside. I don't know why, but I have this eye for antiques. The interiors were dominated by the wood element offering a country feeling.



The room given to me was just small but absolutely clean including the communal bathroom and the restroom. The receptionist and other staff were accommodating and friendly. They have a WiFi, but I didn't asked for it since I have my own pocket WiFi. After I fixed myself, I started my Baguio Tour.


somewhere in Benguet, on the way to Vigan.. look at that curve. whew!
My second destination was Vigan. It was 5 - 6 hours travel from Baguio passing by Benguet and La Union. Half way to the destination, I decided to change my itinerary and make Vigan my last stop. I was told to head down just outside the "Welcome to Vigan" signage where I can catch a bus going to Laoag. Unfortunately, the bus for Laoag was expected to arrive after an hour. I could not wait for it because I was dead tired. And so, I decided to enter Vigan.




I took a tricycle to HEM Apartelle and checked in. I settled in my room. It was a large room, so spacious with air condition, private bathroom and restroom, and cable television. The entire room was clean (I am overly particular when it comes to cleanliness especially the restroom). For Php600, I was satisfied with what I saw. No WiFi, but it was fine with me since I have my own. So I rested for a while and watched TV. At around 6:30 pm, which surprisingly still not yet dark, I went out and started my Vigan Tour.

HEM room.. so spacious
Half of my day 3 was still in Vigan. Before lunch, I made my way to Partas terminal to catch the bus to Laoag. I met a few friends while waiting at the terminal - a lady tour guide, two teachers and a couple with their 7-year old daughter (from Mindanao).

After two hours, we reached Laoag and rode a tricycle to the bus terminal going to Pagudpud (no direct bus from Vigan to Pagudpud). We rode in an ordinary bus - not air conditioned, unlike the ones I boarded in the last two days. While on the road, one of the teachers (Juliet) told me that she was trying to help the family I met (Dyan, her husband and daughter) in finding an affordable tour package in Pagudpud. She asked me if I was interested in joining the family so we could minimize our individual expenses.



Two hours had passed and we stepped foot at Pagudpud. The owner of my homestay offered to pick me up at the terminal so I waited for him while chatting with Juliet.



I availed the Hannah lou's homestay (Php250) with two meals (Php50/per meal). The room given to me was decent, well actually it was chic with blue wall paint and pink curtains. The bathroom/restroom was clean. The owner and his family were friendly and accommodating. I felt like I was just at home.



While waiting for my dinner to be ready, I calculated the possible expenses in touring Pagudpud. Then I received a text from Dyan informing me of how much my share would be. After a few minutes of negotiating, we finally came up with a decision. For a tricycle tour in Pagudpud, one must spend Php1,500. But in our package, my share was only Php1,500 for Pagudpud and Laoag tour. It was definitely reasonable, isn't?


Hannah Lou's owner, Kuya Ruben. Contact him at 639194311687
I woke up early and prepared my things. After having my sumptuous breakfast and paying my bill at the homestay, I bid goodbye to the owner, thanking them for the hospitality. Then we started our Pagudpud - Ilocos Norte tour. At exactly 6:00pm, our tour culminated. It was a crazy and super exciting tour.



Before heading to my hotel in Laoag, I went to the Partas terminal to inquire the earliest bus to DAU. The first bus leaves at 1:00am then every hour. After that, I checked in at Texicano Hotel, considered as one of the oldest hotels in town. I opted the room with private bathroom, which costs Php410. My room was in the main building, though they have a new building - the annex, which looked pleasant. 

However, when I entered my room, I was so disappointed. Compared to my Php300 room in Baguio, my room at Texicano was far behind. I didn't bothered taking pictures of the room since it wasn't what I expected it to be. Indeed, you get what you paid for. Instead of living Laoag at 8:00 in the morning, I decided to leave at 3:00am as a way to get out of the place - my room - sooner. I did not sleep until the time I must go. I just slept in the bus. I am not actually picky when it comes to where to stay but it just didn't pass my standards. It wasn't decent at all. :(


Clark Shuttle Jeep
We reached DAU terminal at exactly 1:00pm and I immediately rode the shuttle jeep to the airport (Php100).


Shuttle jeep ride is Php100
My scheduled flight was 8:45 pm but I opted to go to the airport early. There was a typhoon heading to the area and I was worried that my flight might be cancelled. Luckily, we were allowed to fly. Actually, we were the last flight given the go signal to depart.


Clark Airport

Thank God for a safe solo travel!

Take a look at my separate post for every city/town I visited - Baguio, Vigan, Pagudpud, Laoag and the rest of Ilocos Norte. To all the people who helped me, my deepest gratitude.

Quick Summary:

Bus Travel:

DAU to Baguio - 5 hours via Dagupan Bus
Baguio to Vigan - 5 hours via Fred and Cathy Bus
Vigan to Laoag - 2 hours  via Partas
Laoag to Pagudpud - 2 hours via ordinary bus
Laoag to DAU - 10 hours! via Partas

Bus Fare:
DAU to Baguio - Php306
Bagio to Vigan - Php250
Vigan to Laoag - Php137
Laoag to Pagudpud - Php60
Laoag to DAU - Php665

********

Solo Adventure Pt 1: Beating Boredom at Baguio
Solo Adventure Pt 2: Vamos to Vigan!
Solo Adventure Pt 3: The Heat is on in Pagudpud
Solo Adventure Pt 4: A Bit of History in Laoag and Great Adventure in Paoay


July 11-15, 2014