Hong Kong: Winter Without Snow!


The beginning of 2014 was a blast for me. Before 2013 ended, I was able to book a flight to Hong Kong with my best friends. It was an abrupt decision so I had to endure the pain it brought to my pocket. The ticket was a bit expensive but it was worth it.

During our visit, it was winter in Hong Kong although there's no snow. However, the gusts of the wind was very very cold. The temperature went below 10 degrees Celsius making me chilled whenever I go out. And the worse part, I did not packed winter clothes or let's just say I wasn't able to bring long and thick clothes. All that can be found in my backpack were shorts, mini skirt, sleeveless tops and short dress. Funny huh? Totally forgot!

So what happened? The jeans that I wore when I got there became my daily bottom attire for five days! Arg! Okay enough of this. Here is the highlight of my Hong Kong trip.

infamous Victoria Harbour

On our first day, after a couple of hours rest in our hotel (Bay Bridge Hotel) we went to "Avenue of Stars" where I was able to take pictures with some of the most popular Hong Kong superstars - ehem I mean with their stars. We just strolled around the harbour and enjoyed looking at those skyscrapers. When the night fell, we watched their infamous light show - A Symphony of Lights at the Harbour City. It was nice but I wasn't that impressed - probably because I find the light show in Marina Bay (Singapore) more captivating (just my opinion).

My idol! Jacky Chan's walk of fame star

After the show we went to the famous shopping district in Hong Kong- Mongkok. We just wandered around the busy streets and tried out their authentic Chinese food.

Infamous Mongkok Shopping district

The next day was our Disney adventure. We met up with our other best friend and her husband in Disneyland. We rode those jaw-dropping and heart-stopping rides. Honestly, I felt like throwing up after the first ride but I was able to control it. We felt like little children again playing in a very huge playground. We spent the whole day at Disneyland - which is known as the happiest place on earth. 

The happiest place on Earth - Disneyland

Day 3 and the last day of my other best friend in Hong Kong. She along with her husband and mother-in-law had to fly back to Bulgaria. I was left with my other best friend to spend the rest of the days for our weekend getaway in Hong Kong. But before they left, we went to Lantau Island

A 20-min cable car ride to Ngong Ping village.

Going to the island was a thrilling adventure. We rode on a cable car passing through several mountain peaks and channels. Yikes! 1000 feet above the ground. Sounds scary? Nah.. it was fun. I was able to see the entire island from above - the tip of every mountain we passed, the very long trail for hikers, the South China Sea and other islands. The 20 minute sky cable car ride was worth it. 

We reached Lantau island where it seemed like we were transported back in time. The entire village depicted a very rich history that is worth discovering. We climbed up the steep stairs to see the Buddha sitting atop the mountain. Wow! - the only word I uttered when I reached the top. I wondered how the ancient people brought the big Buddha there. The scene from above was indeed breathtaking. 

Buddha
Ngong Ping Village

The day ended with a sumptuous dinner in a fancy restaurant.

I moved into a new hotel (Rambler Oasis) for my remaining days in Hong Kong. Originally on day 4, we planned to go to Macau. Unfortunately, we run out of time. It was hard to insert a Macau trip to our day 4 schedule since we had to meet up with an old friend. We headed to Victoria Peak later on. 

Foggy Hong Kong Island from the peak

Our trip to Victoria Peak was exciting and thrilling due to those narrow roads we passed by. Yikes! I was on the window side of the bus and whenever I looked down - my oh my - it's already the cliff. After a few minutes, we reached the top. The view of Hong Kong Islands was magnificent from the Peak. It was foggy considering that it was their winter season. Obviously, it was very cold but it didn't stop me from enjoying the place. What makes it more enchanting was the red - orange moon (bloody moon?) that came out so early - it was still late in the afternoon. Lucky I was able to capture that scene.

Dancing fountain which changes colors

So we called it a day. It was already dark when we headed back to the city. We went back to our hotel and packed our things. 

There are so many things to check out when you are in Hong Kong. Sadly, I wasn't able to try out all of them. But hey, there is always a next time. /*evil grin/ 

My Hong Kong trip was very memorable. Aside from the beautiful the places I've visited, it was a wonderful time spent with my two best friends. After many years, the three of us were able to do it again - doing crazy stuff in a foreign place. Until next time ladies!





January 9 -13, 2014