Singapore: Second Home

In 2010, I never thought that one of my longtime dreams would come to reality - visiting another country. Who would have thought that a quick decision to head out to "The Land of the Lion" will be the beginning of my traveling adventure? I have heard a lot of things about a neighboring country called Singapore. The place seems so intriguing to visit: the food, culture and the beautiful spots. Some of my friends have been there and have shared many exciting memories of going to this small yet wonderful country. As a matter of fact, I have some friends who are working there.


Photo Credit: phd-mba.nus.edu.sg


And so, when the opportunity came to let me realized my dream, I never let it slipped away. Upon hearing the stewardess announced “Welcome to Singapore”, I felt so overwhelmed that finally I was already in the “City of Lions”. But still, I was a bit nervous considering that I was in a foreign land. 

I got out of the airport with my best friend and took a cab to my temporary home away from home – Tampines


After a few hours of rest, the first thing I did was to acquire an EZLINK card for my transportation. I had my card so it was time to wander around.

First stop was Holy Trinity church since my official first day in Singapore was Sunday. After the mass, we headed out to IBM Tampines (uhm, actually just outside) – where my best friend worked and then made our way across the road where a supermarket called Giant is located. Grocery time! We just purchased food enough for the whole week.


Next stop was the Sentosa Island. We went to Vivo City – the largest shopping mall in the country, located at the heart of HarbourFront precinct – where we rode on a cable car to the island. While inside the cable car, I had a breathtaking aerial view of the island. 

There are several attractions that one can take pleasure in the place. Probably the most famous one is the Universal Studios Singapore which features 24 movie-themed rides and attractions. Surely, this movie theme park can create a new world of memorable experiences.

From the astounding underwater adventure to exhilarating attractions, a day of wandering will not be enough to completely relish all of the offerings of Sentosa Island. One should NEVER forget to bring extra battery for the camera or a powerbank to capture the fun and exciting experiences. This island can offer beautiful and lasting memories.


For a vacationer, like me, there are a multitude of enchanting places to check out in Singapore. Of course, I did not missed going to the world-famous icon of Singapore- the Merlion Park. I had a breathtaking view of the surrounding since I visited the place during nighttime. While in the park, I caught a magnificent sight of the first-class Marina Bay Sands Hotel

Furthermore, ever since I was a child, I have this fascination about snow (wishing that someday I could feel it touching my skin). When I heard about the "Snow City", I really begged my best friend to go to the place. It was an indoor snow center - situated in Jurong East. Yes, in this tropical country, I was able to experience how it feels during winter season. With negative 18-degree temperature, indeed, it was really cold but my excitement overpowered the coldness. I felt like I was a child playing with the snow (just the fake one) and sliding down the snow-covered hill. It was so much fun.



I joined some local activities too. :D

After the first visit, I kept on coming back to Singapore and it became my second home. With lively nightlife, plenty of shopping centers, amazing structures and skyscrapers as well as friendly people, who would not want to come back? 




Oct. - Dec. '10